The excitement is building in the final 48 hours before this year’s Army Sports Awards!
This glittering occasion will be hosted by the Chief of General Staff and has been organised in collaboration with Team Army and the Army Sport Control Board.
The 2015 Army Sports Awards will be a magnificent showcase for our military athletes and will celebrate an excellent year of sporting achievement in the Armed Forces. The Army takes sport very seriously, not just because it expects its personnel to be fit to serve, but because the values and standards enshrined in sport perfectly match those held so highly in the military.
Sports presenter Hayley McQueen will add an extra sparkle to the event as compere and the renowned soprano, Laura Wright, the sporting soprano, will open the evening in style by performing ‘Invincible’ and ‘World in Union’.
Joining CGS, senior military officers in the British Army, sponsors & supporters and award nominees will be two Olympic gold medallists; a Paralympic silver medallist and two rugby world cup winners. Some of the UK’s biggest sporting heroes will be there on the night including Matt Dawson, Lizzie Yarnold, Jade Etherington, Maggie Alphonsi, Garth Crooks and Jason Gardner
There will be 8 awards presented during the evening and the nominees are:
Major & Minor Unit Award – sponsored by Qioptiq:
- Awarded as recognition for participation in and support to sport at all levels, this year over 50 Units entered the competition – the winning Units will be announced on the night!
Official of the Year Award – sponsored by Boeing:
- Col Adrian Thurgood – Nordic Skiing; DCLPA
- Capt Christopher Roberts – Boxing; HQ 1 Arty Bde
- SSgt Nicola Mead – Volleyball; 3 RSME Regt
Rising Star of the Year Award – sponsored by Juniper Networks:
- LCpl Alexis McNaughton – Parachuting; PARA
- Pte Fern Davies – Netball; 9 Regt RLC
- Gdsm Nkosilathi (Nigel) Ngwenya – Boxing; 1 GREN GDS
Adaptive Athlete of the Year Award – sponsored by Raytheon:
- Capt (Retd) Dave Henson – Athletics
- Tpr (Retd) Mikey Hall – Archery
- Cfn (Retd) Nikki Paterson – Paracanoe
Team of the Year Award – sponsored by Babcock:
- Winner – Army Women’s Road Cycling Team
- Runner-up – Army Karate
Sportswoman of the Year Award – sponsored by Hewlett Packard Enterprise:
- Capt Gemma Rowland – Rugby Union; Royal School of Artillery
- WO2 Chanel Mason – Cycling; Force Tps Comd
- Spr Leonora Brajshori – Powerlifting; 42 Engr Regt
Sportsman of the Year Award – sponsored by Lockheed Martin:
- Maj Ady Whitwam – Athletics; 11 Sig & WM PRU
- Capt Ryan Perry – Cycling; 1 CS Bn REME
- Pte Kyle Morrison – Boxing; 27 Regt RLC
Lifetime Achievement Award – sponsored by Selex ES:
- Maj (Ret) Jim Coffey, Boxing
Team Army would like to thank all the generous ASA sponsors for making the event possible – in particular Babcock (who are headlining the event) and secondary sponsors The Royal British Legion and Lockheed Martin. We are also hugely grateful to Juniper Networks for sponsoring the after awards party.
We wish all the nominees the best of luck on the night.
The ceremony is being filmed by Sky TV and will be broadcast on Forces TV on Saturday and Sunday 28th/29th November. You can watch the channel on a variety of platforms – Sky Channel 264; Virgin 277; Freesat 652