Team Army/Team Ethos are committed to improve mental and physical wellbeing in the armed forces so we warmly welcome the recent changes to upgrade the impact of social value in Government procurement.
Introduced on 1 January 2021, and designed to encourage businesses to give back to their relevant communities and charities, all businesses bidding to win MoD contracts now have to demonstrate how they will deliver social value priorities. This is a huge step-change in approach, with all contract bids now being explicitly assessed for social impact – worth at least 10% of the overall procurement score.
The new social value model encourages businesses to support their relevant communities to improve health and wellbeing and is expected to help broaden the ‘value’ of these contracts. It is also envisaged that successful bidders will help communities manage and recover from the impact of COVID-19.
For most defence suppliers, the armed forces community is a highly relevant group whom they could support in this way.
Our scheme already supports the armed forces by improving health, wellbeing and recovery through the medium of sport, challenge and adventure. Our goals are to promote excellence and help the forces’ sporting talent to succeed by supporting grass roots activity, as well as encouraging and assisting our elite athletes to compete at the highest level. We also support those who are recovering from wounds or illness to take part in events which help them move beyond their disability, regain confidence and recapture their zest for life. Since we started in 2011 the trustees have donated over £8m to this cause and we have an ongoing and exciting programme of support planned for the future.
Joining Team Ethos/Team Army would certainly help your organisation demonstrate its commitment to social value. Our scheme offers an approved route to ‘give back’ to the armed forces and also provides members with additional business benefits.
If you are interested in talking to us about how Team Ethos/Team Army can help your organisation deliver social impact within the armed forces.
There are two main themes in the new rules which relate to Team Army/Team Ethos sponsors:
Improve community integration. Activities that:
- Demonstrate collaboration with users and communities in the codesign and delivery of the contract to support strong integrated communities.
- Influence staff, suppliers, customers and communities through the delivery of the contract to support strong, integrated communities
Help local communities to manage and recover from the impact of COVID-19:
- Create employment, re-training and other return to work opportunities for those left unemployed by COVID-19, particularly new opportunities in high growth sectors.
- Support people and communities to manage and recover from the impacts of COVID-19, including those worst affected or who are shielding.
- Support organisations and businesses to manage and recover from the impacts of COVID-19, including where new ways of working are needed to deliver services.
- Support the physical and mental health of people affected by COVID-19, including reducing the demand on health and care services.
- Improve workplace conditions that support the COVID-19 recovery effort including effective social distancing, remote working, and sustainable travel solutions.
- Government news release about new measures to deliver value to society through public procurement.
- Government Commercial Function – Social Value Model Quick Reference Table
This quick reference table contains only the Model Evaluation Question, Model Award Criteria, Model Response Guidance and Reporting Metrics
for each policy outcome.
- Government Commercial Function – The Social Value Model
- Government Commercial Function – Guide to using the Social Value Model